The Mississippi State University Extension Service Intelligent Community Institute (MSUES-ICI) assists and educates rural communities on how to plan for, transition to, and prosper in the digital age.
The MSUES-ICI conducts outreach and research that generates knowledge and shares information with Mississippi residents and the world on how communities can transition into and benefit from the digital age.
ICF's Intelligent Community Indicators serve as a guideline for the work done by the Mississippi State University Extension Service Intelligent Community Institute.
The Institute is currently working with the following communities:
- City of Carthage, Mississippi
- City of McComb, Mississippi
- City of Poplarville, Mississippi
- City of Quitman, Mississippi
- Town of Pelahatchie, Mississippi
- Here's What Happens to People in America Who Can't Afford Internet Access - I trekked more than 1,000 miles across Mississippi with Mic's video team to talk to people about the digital divide in the state. During the trip, I visited the Stone Elementary School in Wiggins, Mississippi, where Dr. Roberto Gallardo, a grassroots organizer and scholar from Mississippi State University, helped implement a robotics program. Gallardo is working to ensure that the most marginalized communities in the state can access and adopt fixed, high-speed internet. He crisscrosses the state educating elected officials and the broader public about technology with the intent of bridging the digital divide.
- ICF Institute Founder Publishes New Book on ‘The Responsive Countryside’ - Dr. Roberto Gallardo has published a new book titled Responsive Countryside: The Digital Age and Rural Communities. Dr. Gallardo is the founder and leader of the Mississippi State University Extension Service Intelligent Community Institute (MSUES-ICI), part of a worldwide network that assists rural communities to better plan for and prosper in the digital age.
- E-Front Door Project Engages Students to Assess a Community’s Online Reputation - Your personal or professional reputation is important. Today, that reputation exists mostly online – shaped by your pictures, posts and tweets as well as by what others post and tweet about you.
- Mississippi Institute’s Roberto Gallardo to Publish Book on Intelligent Rural Communities - Institute founder Dr. Roberto Gallardo is hard at work on a book that explains the Intelligent Community movement to the small rural communities that he serves through Mississippi State University Extension Service.
- Mississippi Institute Leader profiled in WIRED Magazine article - Roberto Gallardo, founder of the ICF Institute of the Mississippi State University Extension Service, was profiled in a November 2015 article in WIRED magazine by W. Ralph Eubanks.
- Mississippi Institute Pursues Rural Agenda for ICF - The Intelligent Community Institute of the Mississippi State University Extension Service (ICIM) has had an active summer season. Led by Professor Roberto Gallardo, a faculty member at the Center for Technology Outreach, the Institute has led digital literacy classes in the small city of Quitman, where a public-private venture with C-Spire has developed a fiber-to-the-premise network.