Is your community an ICF Member? Click here and sign in for your free copy of this report.
Every successful business, every private sector employer, begins as a startup company where an idea became a viable product that birthed a new business which gained traction in the open market and now gives back to the community. The question for local policymakers is whether to passively wait for a spontaneous occurrence – for a lightning bolt of inspiration to strike or a startup unicorn to wander into town – or be proactive and cultivate an environment for innovation where the flow of people, ideas, applications, commercialization and reinvestment aligns into a sustainable, virtuous cycle.
In this report, you’ll see how two Intelligent Communities foster a local ecosystem of private-sector innovation by facilitating startup culture.
1. Building the Innovation Ecosystem in Your Community
Two Intelligent Communities that Embraced Innovation
2. Taiwan: Manufacturing + Innovation
- Mainly Manufacturing, with a Side of Innovation
- Investment and Exits
- Community Innovation, Inclusion and Education
- Adding Economic Layers
3. Stockholm’s Kista Science City
- Triple-Helix Technology District
- Kista’s Startup Edge
- Grassroots and Give-back
4. Takeaways: Working with Your Scale